Travel & Life
13 Films For Every Fashion Girl!
We’ve listed 13 of our all-time favourite films that are all about fashion and just perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon, cozied up in bed. So get out on the popcorn and hot chocolate, watching these movies will not only inspire you, but make you fall in love with fashion, all over again.
Shall we say LIGHTS, CAMERA, FASHION?
1. Coco before Chanel- Before she built her empire that still bears her name, Gabrielle Chanel was simply Coco. This beautifully made biography is an insight into her love, passion, ideals and the story of the person behind CHANEL.
2. Devil wears Prada – This movie is set in New York, and is about a simple and naïve just-graduated in Journalism, Andrea Sachs. She is hired to work as the second assistant to the powerful and sophisticated Miranda Priestly, the ruthless and merciless executive of the Runway Fashion Mgazine. We see Andrea’s transformation and her journey in this move and how fashion plays such an important part in shaping a girls character.
3. Notebook on Cities and Clothes – Here the prolific German documentary director Wim Wenders has taken on the subject of Japanese fashion designer Yohji Yamamoto as he prepares to debut his designs for another season in Paris. The documentary is as much a meditation by the director on the meaning of documentaries and information in the age of electronic data and computerized images as it is about the skill, dedication, philosophy and work of the fashion designer.
4. Sex and the city 2 – Even though we loved the first part, the elaborate fashion in SATC 2 is just to die for! Carrie Bradshaw is back again, this time she takes us to Abu Dhabi and we are exposed to the traditional yet fashion forward Middle Eastern culture that the New Yorkers embrace during their trip, and also exposes us to their opinions on the traditional system of marriage and love.
5. Prêt-à-Porter – During Paris Fashion Week, models, designers and industry hot shots gather to work, mingle, argue and try to seduce one another. American television personality Kitty unsuccessfully vies to keep up with the high-fashion types. Journalists Anne and Joe skip out on most of the festivities in favor of a hotel room tryst. And fading icons Serge and Isabella hope to rekindle a romance from decades ago.
6. Dior and I- Step into the world of Raf Simons and the enormous fashion house of Christian Dior. This movie will take you on a journey of his first haute couture collection as its new artistic director-a true labor of love created by a dedicated group of collaborators. It takes you through the blood, sweat, tears and pressure that go into putting up a spectacular show.
7. Unzipped – This behind-the-scenes documentary takes a lighthearted look at the fashion industry through the launch of New York City designer Isaac Mizrahi’s 1994 fall collection. The film explores the inspirations Mizrahi drew from to create the line which include Eskimos and “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” – while revealing the harried reality of mounting a major fashion show. Along the way, a number of bold-faced fashion icons and actors crop up, including John Galliano to Richard Gere.
8. The Eye has to Travel – This is a documentary documentary about the life and career of Diana Vreeland, a fashion legacy famous for her time at Harper’s Bazaar and Vogue. Watch how her journey can give such a meaningful insight to fashion and the people who dedicate their lives to it.
9. Breakfast at Tiffiny’s – Audrey Hepburn, the ultimate diva stars in this film, a young woman in New York City who meets a young man when he moves into her apartment building. He wants to be a writer, she is searching for a rich, older man to marry. Breakfast at Tiffiny’s is one movie that will take every girls heart away. Her sense of style, right from her clothes, to her personality is idolized and adored even today.
10. Zoolander- A hilarious take on the competitive and chaotic world of fashion and glamour. The dim-witted but good-natured Derek Zoolander is overthrown as top male fashion model by the rising star, Hansel, goes on to become the pawn of corrupt fashion executives in order to assassinate the Prime Minister of Malaysia.
11. Factory Girl – This movie is set in the mid-1960s, where a wealthy debutant Edie Sedgwick meets artist Andy Warhol. She joins Warhol’s famous Factory and becomes his muse. Although she seems to have it all, Edie cannot have the love she craves from Andy, and she has an affair with a charismatic musician, who pushes her to seek independence from the artist and the milieu. Watch her fashionable journey from nowhere, to where her heart takes her.
12. The September Issue – The September 2007 issue of Vogue magazine weighed nearly five pounds, and was the single largest issue of a magazine ever published. With unprecedented access, this film tells the story of legendary Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and her larger-than-life team of editors creating the issue and ruling the world of fashion.
13. Valentino : the Last Emperor – This movie revolves around Valentino Garavani, the Italian fashion designer, who opened his first fashion house in 1959. In 2007, Valentino announced his retirement plans and began preparing for his final show. This documentary follows Valentino during the last two years of his time as a designer, accompanied by Giancarlo Giammetti, his patient partner in both business and life. As Valentino gets ready to conclude his fashion career, he worries about the the intentions of the corporation buying his clothing line.